Top Image

What to do if you've had Unsafe Sex


  • See a GP or visit a sexual health clinic immediately and ask for an STI and HIV test, as well as emergency contraception if needed.

  • If you have symptoms of an STI don’t just wait and hope that it will go away. Even if the symptoms go, the infection could still be there. Contact your GP or a sexual health clinic for confidential STI testing.

  • Do not have vaginal, oral or anal sex without a condom until you have seen a doctor and have been told you don’t have an STI. Click here to find out how to use a condom correctly.

  • If you test positive for an STI, follow the instructions your GP gives you. This may mean not having vaginal, oral or anal sex while the treatment clears the infection.

  • If you know the person you caught the STI from, or think you may have passed an STI to someone else, discuss this with your doctor. You may need to name your partner/s so they can be contacted for STI testing. This is called contact tracing and it help to stop the spread of infection in the community. Contact tracing is confidential and, can be done with the help of a health professional so your identity is protected.

  • Remember many STIs do not have symptoms. If you have had unsafe sex, see a doctor and get tested! To find out if you may be at risk of an STI click here.

Related items

Our Mission

To minimise the impact and further transmission of HIV, other blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections. To reduce social, legal and policy barriers which prevent access to health information and effective support and prevention services.