The WA AIDS Council migration consultancy service is aimed at providing support for PLHIV to explore migration and visa options, and to make informed choices about their possible migration pathway. The role of the program is to provide crucial initial information so that PLHIV do not lose time or their way during their considerations of migration and visa options.
The volunteer consultant is a Registered Migration Agent (RMA) and as such is bound by a government-regulated professional Code of Conduct, available on request, and by the Consumer Guide.
The WA AIDS Council has a referral and contact list of Migration Agents who can be contacted for further services required beyond the capacity of the volunteer consultancy service.
Scope of volunteer services:
- Providing information to families or individuals who are prospective visa applicants and are concerned about possible visa issues arising associated with their HIV status. To provide accurate information and pathways, the volunteer RMA may need to be aware of sensitive information relating to character, relationship status, family issues, dependents and financial situation.
- Providing information on possible alterative visa pathways where appropriate.
- Giving preliminary guidance regarding what evidence is needed, and how to approach preparing an application for a visa or a health waiver.
- All face-to-face appointments will be held at the WA AIDS Council offices at 664 Murray St, West Perth.
Volunteer Services NOT Provided:
- Preparing and writing health/disability related submissions as part of an initial visa application, including assessing what evidence is needed; and collating this part of application.
- Preparing waiver applications including writing submissions; collating waiver applications ready for submission.
- Preparing evidence for, collating and lodging MRT submissions.
- Helping applicants prepare for MRT appearance; appearing with and supporting applicant in MRT
Volunteer Migration Consultant WA AIDS Council Clinical Services
Jan Gothard BA PhD GCAMLP
Registered Migration Agent
To link in with Jan and access this support, please call Lisa Tomney on 9482 0000